About Our Borough
Harmony was settled by German immigrants in search of religious freedom in 1804. Before leaving the area in 1814 for more room, the Utopian Harmonist Society numbered one thousand members, cultivated 2000 acres, and built more than 100 buildings. Harmony was incorporated in 1840 and its downtown designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1974. There are more than 50 preserved buildings in our historic district. Come and visit, take in the history, and enjoy the shops and restaurants.